Amazon: A Complete Guide to Protecting Your Brand
Amazon is the most popular online retailer in the United States, with a turnover of $556 billion in 2022. The site amazon.com ranks among the top 10 most visited web resources globally, with 55% of Americans starting their product search on the platform. As Amazon's popularity grows, so does fraudulent activity, causing an estimated $323 billion in damages to companies annually.
How to Protect Your Brand on Amazon
There are several tools within the platform to protect your brand, including the Amazon Brand Registry, the Transparency Program, and Amazon Brand Gating.
Amazon Brand Registry
The 130,000 brands on the brand registry have reported 99% fewer violations, according to Amazon data. The registry is a single platform for detecting possible violations with advanced monitoring tools, such as:
- Text and image searches
- Automatic predictions and violation detection
Amazon offers registered brands access to enhanced advertising capabilities.
Who Can Register?
Brand owners or authorized distributors can register with the Brand Registry. To do so, you must provide:
- Trademark rights with an active trademark registration
- A list of product categories in which the brand's products are listed
- Trademark registration in graphic or text form
Amazon currently accepts trademark registrations from various countries and regions.
Benefits of the Amazon Brand Registry
- Easier to report infringers and get faster responses
- Simplified process for correcting incorrect information
- Access to exclusive marketing and security tools
Amazon Brand Registry Registration Guide
- Register as a merchant and log in to your personal account
- Create a registry account
- Register your brand
- Get a confirmation
Amazon Transparency Program
Amazon Transparency is a service aimed at detecting and removing counterfeit goods from the platform. This service allows Amazon to verify the authenticity of goods before shipping them to customers.
How It Works
- Amazon provides participating businesses with transparency-enabled barcodes
- Businesses must use these codes for every product item
- Amazon checks the barcodes before shipping products to customers
- A mobile app is available for shoppers to verify product authenticity
Amazon Brand Gating
Brand Gating protects specific ASINs to prevent fraudsters from using your brand. To apply for Brand Gating, you need to register a trademark and provide evidence of counterfeit activity on the specific barcode you need to close.
How to Deal with Unauthorized Sellers on Amazon
Contact customer service by chat or phone to file a complaint against unauthorized sellers.
How to Report a Breach on Amazon
- Submit a breach report to Amazon
- Indicate on whose behalf you are reporting
- Choose the type of violation
- Fill out the form
How to Remove a Counterfeit from Amazon
- Go to Amazon's intellectual property infringement report page
- State your rights to brand representation
- Provide information about the original product
- Add details about the counterfeit product
- Add contact information
- Wait for feedback from Amazon
BrandMonitor: Working with Amazon
BrandMonitor constantly monitors all platforms, including Amazon, and provides customers with data found in monitoring through a personal cabinet. The system searches daily for new badges with counterfeit goods and ensures that sellers who have been found guilty of fraud do not create new badges with such goods.
BrandMonitor's Approach to Brand Protection
BrandMonitor goes beyond simply looking for and blocking infringement online. The fight against counterfeiting takes place both online and offline, targeting all sales channels and product supply chains to infringers.